Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My version of a Pantoum

So this is National Poetry Month and I am going to try to write 30 poems in 30 days.. I have been posting these on Facebook.. but my blog needs some love too.. so lets go 
 
1.30

There is an old woman, that lives inside me,
She grows old and tired every breath that we take.
She asks me for a glass of water,  but I told her this is my body.
She leaves me sometimes and I feel so hollow when she returns.

She grows old and tired every breath that we take
She wants me to remember her name but it’s hard to spell out my own
She leaves me sometimes and I feel so relieved to feel my body
I never asked for second chances or fair warning

She wants me to remember her name because I will be the only thing left to tell her story
I want her to be young again so I can talk to the old woman crawling to get out of her
She never asked me for a second chance or fair warning.
She said my name is Javonne, live for yourself because I will never know your name.

There was an old woman, who lived inside me.
I wanted her to be young again, but she never got a chance to see the old woman swim out of her
She said my name is Javonne, live for yourself, I will die and you will honor our names.
She asked me for a glass of water, I cried and said you can have this body. 

No comments: